Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Disney Princess Half Marathon

While clad in a tiara (it's an unwritten rule that one must accessorize when running the Disney Princess half marathon), I completed my second half of the year yesterday and knocked four minutes and 35 seconds off my time in January. A new personal record! I'm down 2.2 pounds this week so I'm struggling with how to keep this momentum moving without using the race as an excuse to eat.

In regard to the race, I had some mental struggles during miles 1-2 wondering why I was doing this AGAIN. I’ve only had this self doubt and feeling of "Why do I run?" once during a long practice session months ago. By mile three, I was in love with the movement, the entertainment, and the chance to know I'm competing only against myself so improvement is the one goal. The first half of the race simply flew.

Unfortunately, I reached what I call the "no man's land" during miles eight and nine. That's the part of a race when I realize I'm truly on my own without entertainment, visual appeal, and the surrounding runners have also hit a low so conversations aren't giddy as they were while running down Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom. My body finally hit a wall with leg fatigue around mile 11 and I struggled to the very end. I also didn't cry when I crossed the finish line because it wasn't a shock that I completed another 13.1. I expected myself to make this second one in better time.

Fortunately, my recovery only took one day due to a new plan: low fat chocolate milk, stretching, professional massage, and allowing myself to take Tylenol after I ate a meal with protein. I feel NO pain, stiffness, or discomfort today. THIS is a HUGE accomplishment! So two halves down and two to go this year in my quest to complete four to celebrate my 40th year. Happy running, everyone! As always, thanks for this venue of support, Nigel!

No comments: